.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

Powered by Blogger

PRODUCTION LOGS
Thursday, February 15, 2007

Update 125-01
Update 125-01
Jew Karey
16th February 2007
12:32 AM


Alright it's been an interesting week so expect a long-ass entry. Oh before I forget: I'm wondering if you jackasses got the 100 DVDs I got someone to send out. If you haven't, tell me! If you have and still haven't told me, shame on you for forgetting about BLT only 6 months after he left! Okay fine I digress. But honestly though – At least drop me a message or let me know somehow cuz I put in quite a lot of effort into coercing convincing someone with money and threats to send this stuff out. Thanks Ben! (:

I have a strong suspicion that I score better for subjects I don't study for here in the US. For instance, I studied really hard for my philosophy and psychology midterms but I only managed to get 80++ for both (FYI, before you studious people start gasping, 80% is a 'B' here in the USA) To my surprise, I got a 96 for my Political Ideologies and 90 for my American Politics midterms – Tests which I did not read a SINGLE page of reading material from during the entire term. Ironic ain't it?

Speaking of grades, I was accused of cheating and plagiarism two days ago by my English teacher because she claimed my essay was 'too advanced', 'too verbose', and 'too good' for a Freshman. I thus made an angry, insulted face full of shock, horror and disgust and subsequently gave her an electronic copy to scan through with the 'plagiarizing-detecting machine'. It checked out, obviously. (For the record, I don't ever ever EVER cheat on essays. Okay fine – Even IF I ever did, I would never be dumb enough to get caught; thank you IB History! ^_^)

Anyway, she kept apologizing to me today in front of the whole class and I was even bestowed the dubious honor of being forced to articulate my essay in front of the whole class – Something which would ordinarily be inviting except I kept stumbling over my over-inflated vocabulary. Yes, for those of you who are wondering, I used 'gargantuan'.


On other fronts, it looks like history repeats itself again – Or rather, rears its ugly head once more as I did my uni's student council Homecoming Video this week. Although they chose us over the MPAC-Reincarnate equivalent here on campus, something which I was particularly proud of and led me to agree readily, I began to wonder if MPAC-Spawn had deliberately rejected the council's request to do their video. I soon found out why. We were supposed to film with the school's mascot and all that in some really cheesy video but they didn't show up at all – Typical. Next, they hand us EIGHT bags of oranges and tell us to do 'whatever the hell our creativities wanted' – Typical. Lastly, they want it shot, edited, and handed to them on a silver platter within 24 hours – Typical again.

But.... DoubleTeeEff? What the hell are we supposed to do with 8 bags of friggin' oranges?

As usual, councils always put me in tough spots like that. *Nudge Nudge* Remember the Council vid? Anyway, so we basically came up with a 'feasible' idea to have crazy college kids run out of lecture theaters a la Drew Carey style. Most of the lecturers we approached were kind enough to make an announcement for us to ask their students 'run like hell flapping their arms around like chickens'. One ancient but kind biology professor whom I'm guessing is Nordic or Eastern European did it rather humorously – Albeit unintentionally.

“I vant you all to run out-ta here viff arms karzy krazy. Run like Jew Karie. I zoo not know who zis Jew Karie is – But vrun like himz"


She then did an imitation of what we wanted them to do. Imagine an 80 year old Grandma doing that. It was hilarious. Unfortunately though, the results weren't quite so fantastic – For the first 6 lecture theaters we visited, a total of almost 5,000 people, not a SINGLE person ran out of the auditorium doing anything! Considering it's friggin Amerika – Land of Borat and MTV Whatever Things, I assumed people would be more spontaneous, fun, and cooperative over this sort of thing.

Unfortunately, they turned out to be rather Singaporean and glanced at us with weird but unmistakeable 'WTF you doing with that camera?' looks. Pfft – And I thought apathy and ignorance were Singaporean traits... Well, we finally managed to get a grand total of SIX people to do it out of the tens of thousands of students we approached. Being BLT, I had multiple cameramen shooting simultaneously so I just put it on loop from different angles as if there really were crowds of people doing it. Yep, 5 seconds of footage plays over and over again.




Tricks of the trade (:

Yes yes, I know – The film bears an extraordinarily striking resemblance to the commercial I did for The Birds or the Blinded Trailer.



What can I say, apart from the fact that I lack creative ingenuity? *coughs* That IS a rhetorical question, in case those of you are dying to answer that question are wondering. Well, I suppose one resorts to familiar, tried-and-tested methods of advertising when all else fails. If you're sick of me putting on deep-voiced weird accents and doing that cliched 'this has nothing to do with us' plotlines, I can assure you this won't be the last one. They are Americans afterall.

You must be wondering: Why oranges? Erm, for starters, I have no idea. It might be because it's Orange County or it might be because it was the cheapest fruit in season to buy 8 bags of. But whatever – I don't really give a shit because they let us ME keep all the oranges. After rolling down a hundred or so oranges down various staircases countless number of times and embarrassing myself in front of so many people, I'm not complaining when I say that I'll be having free orange juice for quite some time now....

Labels: , , , , , , , ,


- posted by BLT @ 8:32 PM
Comments:
Got the DVD. Haven't watched it yet, though. :P

And the oranges are for Chinese New Year, O culture-less one.

Also, send me that essay of yours. I need to replenish my stock of big words, which I normally steal from you.
 
Post a Comment


The Vault The Vault